Monday 29 July 2013

Painting London Underground~

[Close up]

Woo! New update! :D

As you may, or may not know, I am from the lovely city of London and, being an avid Londoner, I am very much a fan of the Underground (apart from at rush hour/when there are delays/strikes/repairs.... which happens... pretty much all the time.... it's actually rather inefficient...) 

So whilst showing my London hating boyfriend around the beautiful city, I was very much excited to find out about a free exhibition going on at the 'Bankside Gallery', Southbank.

Entitled 'Painting London Underground' makes it pretty self explanatory, however going inside was even more than I expected. All around, there were large, detailed paintings of individuals simply sitting on the tube and going about their journey. A very simple concept, however totally mesmerising to see, and surprising too, for although I've been on more tube journeys than I can even possibly begin to count, I found that I had never once stopped to really appreciate the other travellers beside me. Hopefully that will now change! Done for the 150th anniversary of the London Undergound, the exhibition really captured a sense of what London is like, somehow imitating the atmosphere and allowing the viewers to really engulf themselves in the work. It was also fun, as I managed to meet the artist, Ewing Paddock! :D

It was very exciting to discover this exhibition, entirely by chance, however I felt that it was a really great set of paintings and I am very eager to revisit the 'Bankside Gallery' someday, hopefully to discover new and exciting things!




That's all for now, but if you'd like more information on this exhibition and to the 'Bankside Gallery', here is a link! http://www.banksidegallery.com/viewexhibition.aspx?exhibitionid=75
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment